White Folks Soul by Any Dance Necessary
White Folks Soul by Any Dance Necessary is an experimental dance company founded in 2008 exploring the incompatibility of wholeness and the race construct for white people. The co-founders are Zahava Griss, Alexis Halkovic, Alyssa Lynes, and Jesse Phillips-Fein, who share the following intentions:
* To cultivate trust in ourselves and in others, independent of the ways white culture teaches us self definition and self worth.
* To re-explore our personal and ancestral histories acknowledging the impact of white privilege.
* To develop and evolve an intimate improvisational creative process as a group that can be used to address the construct of race and that engages us as whole people: communal, sensual, emotional, powerful, loving, expressive, visionary, spiritual beings.
* To bring our process into relationships we already value including our families, friendships, workplaces, classrooms, anti-racist & activist communities, spiritual communities, and dance communities.
* To use creative process and performance to remind ourselves and our communities of how institutional racism has but no longer will constrict our wholeness.
* To confidently articulate our process with transparency for self reflection as well as a way to network with similar consciousness.
* To receive funding and appreciation for our work.
Learn more about us here.